5 Things to Do Immediately After Being Stopped for a DUI
If you have recently been pulled over by the police and accused of driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, you may be frustrated, scared, and if falsely accused, very angry. It is important to keep your calm during this stressful time, and remember you have the right to legal representation in your case. If you have been accused of a DUI, it is important to take these 5 steps immediately after the incident.
1. Write down every detail: Most DUI cases are won or lost based on the details. After being stopped for a DUI, it is imperative to write down everything you can remember from the stop including the location and time you were stopped, the reason the officer gave for stopping you, whether or not a breath test was administered, and any other sobriety tests the officer had you do. Write down all these details, and only share them with your attorney.
2. Keep social media private: When a prosecutor is looking for evidence to incriminate you in your case, one of the first places he/she will look is your social media profiles. Make sure to set all your accounts to private and avoid posting any information or pictures related to the day you were stopped.
3. Find witnesses to testify on your behalf: After your stop, seek out any friends or family who saw you before, after, or during the DUI stop, and ask them to testify on your behalf in court.
4. Remain calm and don’t obsess: Being accused of a DUI is by far one of the most stressful events you will deal with in your lifetime. During this time, remain as calm as possible, especially when in court. Don’t obsess over each step of the legal process, but rather, trust your attorney to handle the details for you.
5. Hire an experienced DUI lawyer: If you haven’t already, now is the time to hire a DUI lawyer to represent you in your case. Having experienced legal representation can greatly improve the odds of you reaching a successful outcome in your case.
When you are facing the ramifications of a DUI charge, don’t go into your legal proceedings alone. Contact Nicholson Law Offices in San Jose to speak with a member of our experienced legal team. Call today to schedule a free consultation with one of our DUI lawyers.