In California, many people can legally own or possess guns. But even those who lawfully own guns are subject to numerous restrictions. California’s gun laws are loaded with nuances and exceptions. We know when and where it is legal to own and carry a gun. If you or someone you know is charged with a gun-related crime in California, we can help. Weapons charges are a serious offense in the state of California, as the majority of weapons charges are felonies. The determination of whether a weapons charge is considered a felony or misdemeanor depends on the kind of weapon the defendant is in possession of upon arrest, intent with the weapon, and prior criminal offenses. Call to discuss potential defenses and options if you have been arrested for a weapons offense in California.
Some examples of weapons charges in California include:
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- Carrying a Loaded Firearm in Public
- Brandishing a Weapon
- Assault with a Firearm
- Generally Prohibited Weapons
- Improper Handling of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle
- Possession of a Weapon by a Convicted Felon
- Firing or Shooting into an Occupied Building
- Firing or Shooting into an Uninhabited Dwelling or Vehicle
- Selling a Firearm
- Possession of an Assault Weapon
- Grossly Negligent Discharge of Firearm or BB Gun
- Point Laser at Aircraft
- Firearm Possession during Sex Crime
- Aiding or Abetting Felony with Firearm
It is important to note that the definition of a weapon is wide ranging. For example, an individual can be charged for improper use of knives or carrying brass knuckles.
A guilty finding for a weapons charge can impact an individual for the rest of their life when going for employment or a place of residence. There are also many viable defenses for a weapons charge we take into consideration for you as a client, including but not limited to:
- Improper search and seizure of weapons;
- Weapon usage in self-defense circumstances;
- Accidental firing of a weapon; and
- Non-ownership of a weapon in possession.
We at Nicholson Law Offices offer the experience you need and the attention that you deserve. We strive to protect your best interests throughout the entire criminal process – from the initial filing of charges through sentencing. Our experienced criminal defense attorneys in California will provide you with a strong defense, regardless of the charge.